Needed: Loving Families
More than 15,000 children are part of the Illinois child welfare system. In most cases, foster families parent the children until they can return to their birth families. If this is not possible, then caring adoptive families will be needed for these children.
Could you be a foster or adoptive parent? Many kinds of parents can foster or adopt. You don't have to be married or own your own home. But you do need to be licensed by the state. Here are some of the state's criteria:
- You can be married, single or separated.
- You can have other children or none.
- You should be at least 21 years old.
- You must pass a criminal background check.
- To adopt, you must be able to support the child financially (although financial assistance is often available).